The Ministry of Justice has confirmed media reports that a container and bags of money totaling around L$9billion (US$60million) brought in through the Freeport of Monrovia and Roberts International Airport had gone missing but that the Weah administration was not aware of the consignments and directly indicted the departed Ellen Johnson Sirleaf-led administration as the culprit.
The ministry said in a press release issued yesterday that the several consignments of money arrived between November 2017 (at the twilight of the Ellen regime) and August 2018–eight months after President George Manneh Weah took over the country’s leadership.
“Evidence available to the investigative team has established that the current administration was not informed about the arrival of the containers and bags of money into the country, ” Justice Minister F. Musa Dean said.
While the Justice Ministry argues that the Johnson Sirleaf administration did not provide information on the shipments of money into the country, he did not say why the matter has been treated with secrecy.
That the Government’s 10-month-long wait to disclose or admit to such high profile financial and economic crime comes only after coercive media reports, points to an organized mass looting of national resources for personal gains.
Even with the revelation, the Attorney General is still determined to keep the matter quiet. He said, “as this is an ongoing and active investigation, the release of the information to the public will be measured against the need to preserve the sanctity of the investigation and ensure that professional standards are not compromised.”
On July 10, 2018, a source told New Democrat some higher-ups in government and politically connected business people were involved in a grand syndicate that is mass-producing the Liberian banknotes for personal riches.
The Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) had been persistently reporting that a large amount of Liberian dollar was outside the banking system and not accounted for.
– Festus Poquie