A recent statement by Deputy Police Inspector General for Administration, Sadiatu Reeves, that two policemen would face investigation for allegedly shooting during last week’s riot in Barnesville has ignited confusion amongst authorities of the force as she is viewed to have undermined the work of the police and subjected it to public ridicule.
Police spokesman, Moses Carter, told a hurriedly arranged press conference Wednesday that the statement by deputy IG Reeves was not true.
“We wish to clarify that no round was fired as was reported. It is also important to note that besides the two deaths that resulted from the motor accident which sparked the riot, no one died contrary to false information being circulated,” he said.
According to Carter, the police had moved to the Kebbah community in Barnesville to help restore calm in the wake of rioting by angry mob due to an accident involving a passenger truck and a motorcycle leading to the deaths of the two riders of the motorcycle.
He explained that the mob wanted reprisal against the deaths by attempting to burn and kill the truck driver, Abou Sheriff.
Writes P. Nas Mulbah