Justice Ministry Flops Over US$ 5M Oil Money Scandal Report

209

Justice Minister Frank Musa Dean has disclosed that investigation into the ExxonMobile Oil bribery scandal has not yet commenced following a presidential mandate that report should have been completed in two weeks.

Minister Dean addressing a major press conference in Monrovia Tuesday, did not give any concrete reason why the President’s mandate was not adhered to within the specified time frame.
“With respect to investigation, some efforts have been made and sooner or later the group responsible to conduct the investigation will be announced. The investigation will commence to its fruitful conclusion but you can rest assure that there will be investigation,” Minister Dean said.
In April 2, 2018, President George Weah directed the Justice Minister to investigate top former officials including ex-President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf’s son Robert Sirleaf in connection with Global Witness report alleging corruption, a post he has since resigned.

The UK based natural resource and governance watchdog said in its March 29, 2018 report that the officials recieved irregular payments from US oil firm ExxonMobil.
The officials include former NOCAL CEO, Randolp McClain; former Lands and Mines minister, Patrick Sandolo; Former NOCAL board chairman, Robert Sirleaf; former Finance minister Amara Konneh; former National Investment Commission chairman Natty Davis and former Justice minister Christiana Tah.

The officials received US$35,000 each. Although President George Weah has already commissioned a general concession review, including concessions in the oild sector, these allegations of bribery and misuse of office were deeply concerning, Information Minister Eugene Nagbe said in a statement last Month.
The Attorney General will investigate the matter and submit a preliminary report to the President within two weeks, the statement said.
“The President said if illegality is determined, those culpable will bear the full weight of the law. He urged all to cooperate.”