The Liberian Senate Tuesday, January 23 approved a “special guidelines” for the confirmation of individuals that would be nominated for various roles in government, warning it would disqualify those that will offer bribes, present fake credential and that only Liberian citizen will be confirmed.
“Any testimony by a nominee should be factual a n d the truth,” the Senate’s adopted guidelines stipulates.
“Misstatement or falsification of the truth shall be deemed perjury and prosecutable under the laws of the republic of Liberia.”
Below is the press statement from the Senate:
In keeping w with article 54(a) of the constitution of Liberia which states that: “The president shall nominate and, with the consent of the Senate appoint and commission government not officials, the senate will shortly starts the confirmation proceedings of government officials as soon as the list of nominees is submitted. In pursuance of this constitution mandate, the Senate in its second sitting, first session of the 54thlegislature o n Thurs day January 18, 2018 approved the following guide lines:
1. There shall be former public hearings for all officials to the rank of statutory districts Superintendents. Other methods of vetting shall be applied to nominee s below the rank of statutory districts superintends.
2. Consistent with the constitution of Liberia, only Liberian citizens shall be confirmed.
3. All nominees will be treated with respect and dignity during the vetting process. All nominees are advised to conduct themselves properly du r in g confirmation proceedings.
4. Confirmations proceedings shall be conducted in the conference room o f the Senate or Pro-Tempore’s conference room in the Senate’s Chamber.
5. All cost associated with any conformation process shall be borne by the Senate.
6. Any nominee who offers or attempts to offer a gift to any committee member prior to o r during the confirmation period will be disqualified.
7. Any testimony by a nominee should be factual a n d the truth; misstatement or falsification of the truth shall be deemed perjury and prosecutable under the laws of the republic of Liberia
Previous areas of works, behavior in community and or society and etc.., accordingly, the Senate is requesting the public to send in any pertinent information of any nominee to the office of the Secretary of he onward submission to the vetting committee prior to the confirmation of that nominee.